Friday 15 May 2015

Vale Sue Pearson

On Tuesday I was showing one of my students some photos of Sue Pearson's paintings to illustrate the art of using gentle soft glazes in a watercolour painting. We talked about her process and I spoke about Sue's gentle, patient approach to both art and life. Sue was a talented watercolour artist whose style was unique. Each transparent layer would be applied with care. Her subject matter included flowers, pebbles, shells and landscapes.


Sue Pearson FWWSA

On Wednesday I received the sad news that Sue had passed away suddenly.
I first met Sue at a Watercolour Society meeting many years ago when she was the current President. An item on the agenda was about a special exhibition - Artists for Hospice, to raise funds for the Westville Hospice. Each artist would work to a size that would be framed in a standard size frame. The frames had been sponsored but a working party was needed to assemble the completed paintings. 

I volunteered to help with the framing and by so doing I got to know a very special person who became both mentor and friend. After the Hospice Exhibition, Sue invited me to join the committee of WSSA. (Watercolour of South Africa) At the very first meeting Sue managed to convince me to be her Vice President. Her gentle powers of persuasion were legendary - who could ever say no to Sue?


                       Low Tide Knysna Heads watercolour on paper - © Sue Pearson



Sue served on the committee of the KZN Branch of WSSA for many years. She was elected a Fellow of the Society, an honour awarded to very few artists. She was also made an Honorary Life Member in recognition of her service.

During the years that followed, I became more fascinated with watercolour and solely due to Sue's encouragement I eventually became an Associate member. Together with a few friends, Sue and I met every Thursday to paint; experimenting, sharing ideas and developing a very special friendship. I treasure those memories.

Thank you, Sue, rest in peace, my dear friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment