Saturday 8 January 2011

New delights to discover...

One of the joys of being an artist in a new city is that there is so much to discover. I  had visited  Brisbane's Gallery of Modern Art previously, so it's good to know that I will be able visit often and have to so much inspiration on my doorstep.




The current exhibition -  21st Century : Art in the first decade was simply such fun. What really made an impact on me was  the busy, happy vibe of the exhibition - the space was crowded with people - young old and in between.  Many of the exhibits involved audience participation, especially aimed at children. In fact, the Gallery has a programme called 21st Century kids designed to encourage younger members.

Admittedly, outdoor Brisbane hasn't exactly been the best lately with all the rain, so perhaps it was inevitable that the exhibition should prove popular. However, I didn't get the impression that people were hiding from the weather - they all seemed to be absorbed in the art.

 A sense of fun and excitement filled the space. One installation was a room filled with the most beautiful  purple balloons - approximately 3000. Both parents and children were suitably armed with identification tags and could then go inside the room to play in amoungst the balloons which swamped small kids - here and there you could see a parent's head pop above the mass of moving, jumping,colour.



and more moving colour....as every now and again the mass of balloons would explode upwards as they popped high up into the air.


Work No. 956: Half the air in a given space (purple) 2008
Martin Creed


There was another wall running the length of the central foyer that is festooned with brightly coloured silk ribbons. I wish your wish is the work of Brazilian artist Rivane Neuenschwander




Visitors select a wish – printed on the ribbons, tie it around their wrist and replace it with their own wish written on the slip of paper provided. it is believed that when the ribbon wears away and falls off, the wish will come true.



The wish I selected was – I wish I had all the books in the world – this seemed a touch greedy so I replaced it with the following: I wish to write a book one day, just in case my wish comes true.

No comments:

Post a Comment